Counsellor Yael Greenberg BA; MSW; RSW.
Yael is delighted to join Patmos Counselling Associates, and she is committed to the collective’s client-centered, compassionate, and respectful approach.
Yael brings to her practice at Patmos diverse life experience as an immigrant, adoptive mother, children’s special educator, and youth worker. Equally important, she has extensive professional experience helping children with emotional and learning problems, and counselling individuals, couples, and families.
A central aspect of her practice is deep listening: listening to clients describes their feelings, experiences, families, and environments. This enables her to help them understand how these issues impact their well-being, which in turn, impact the well-being of their families.
The goal is to restore balance and harmony to the individual, couple, or family.
Yael seeks to be a warm and engaging counselor, and to make her clients feel safe and respected. She understands that individuals, couples, and families can fall into patterns of relating that are hurtful, yet difficult to change.
Her therapeutic approach is to meet clients where they are; help them set their own goals; and enable them to discover their strengths and develop skillful ways of improving their situation.
Yael’s approach draws from family, psycho-dynamic, DBT, mindfulness, narrative, and solution-focused therapies.
Yael enjoys working in her vegetable and flower gardens; bread-making; time at the gym; singing; and volunteering in the community. She has been married since 1977, and has two adult daughters.
Background & Qualifications
- MSW, University of Windsor
- Registered Social Worker with the College of Social Work
- Post-Graduate Internship (1 yr) in Family and Couple Counselling, Family Services, Thames Valley, London ON
- BA (Hons.) in Sociology, McMaster University
- Occupational Therapy studies (2 yrs), University of Toronto
- Tutoring children with special learning needs (16 yrs)
- Abuse Counselor and Group Co-Facilitator, Women’s Centre, Hamilton
- Drama groups for seniors, Shalom Village, Hamilton
- trained in Critical Incident De-briefing
- trained in Narrative Therapy
“Human resources are often buried deep.
You have to go looking for them … create the circumstances where they show themselves”