Counsellor Duane King, BA, BSW, RSW
has been supporting individuals, parents, families and teens for over 27 years. He uses various clinical approaches and techniques to assess and help tailor a plan based on your strengths and potential.
Duane can provide simple, solution-focused tools that can be used right from the initial session.
Duane is committed to creating a safe and validating space for you to explore ideas and strategies that can help you get back to living the life you want for yourself.
When appropriate, Duane will recommend involving in your therapy, your partner, teen, parent(s), or any significant person in your life.
Duane’s passion for mental health is fueled by his own practice of mindfulness, yoga and daily physical activity.
His inspiration also comes from his role as a father of two adolescent daughters and his love for the Arts.
Background & Qualifications
- Bachelor of Arts, York University, Toronto
- Bachelor of Social Work, Université Laval, Québec City
- Registered with the Ontario College of Social Workers (License No. 812441) and the Ontario Association of Social Workers (License No. 14326)
- Intensive 10 – day training in Dialectical Behaviour Therapy, Behavioural Tech, LLC, Seattle Washington
- Provided evidenced-based therapy/psychoeducation to children, youth and families with various family/community services agencies
- Learned and practised various clinical approaches for helping families and youth (Multi Systemic Therapy, Collaborative Problem Solving and Strategic Family Therapy,)
- Provided Solution-focused intervention to individuals in crisis (suicidal, psychotic episode, homelessness, etc.)
- Assessed individual/family situations of abuse and facilitated psycho-educational groups on power and control from a feminist perspective
- Developed skills/self-help groups aimed at improving the masculine condition
- Developed an expertise in Motivational Interviewing and working with people struggling with addictions.
“It is with the heart that one sees rightly, what is essential is invisible to the eye.”
Antoine De Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince